Friday, August 22, 2014

1968 Cox Campsquire Debut

As some of you readers know, I'm a member of an online forum called PopUp Portal. The folks there have enjoyed Rosie, Piper, and Juno's escapades, and a few of them even got to meet us at the Annual NC PopUp Portal Rally last June. I'm going to post a few stories I've written on that forum to give you all some more background while you await the two new posts I'm working on! (I'll just put this 'lil paragraph in front of the old forum posts.)

I'm excited to share with you my "new to me" 1968 Cox Campsquire, which I have dubbed "The Wanderer."

Here are some pics of setup and some cool stuff I found inside. 
It has a box Kamper's Kitchen mod that weighs about fifty pounds holding everything you'd need for the kitchen, and it has a table mod on the side. Set up takes about five minutes.

The previous owners left a ton of good stuff in it like a heater, a fan, lots of drop cords and power adapters, an electronic tire pump/air compressor, an antique electric portable 2-burner stove, and the original portable propane stove that came as a promotional option with the camper. Also on board is the original 50lb. capacity ice box. Under the carpet is the fantastic green vinyl original flooring, and everything on the camper is the same from day one other than the mods, the AC, and the canvas, which was replaced once in 1985.

Here's the background on it:
Cox Campers was a small company in NC that produced a few different styles and sizes of this camper. The woman I brought it from had a father who really wanted one but the company wouldn't ship just one. So, to get around that he ordered a hundred of them and sold them from his driveway. He sold the campers in the surrounding KY area and kept one for himself! It's been maintained and kept in a garage since day one, and has been taken cross country and frequently to the millionaire camping row at the races! Imagine seeing that. 

It was a 28 hour trip in two days to go get this thing, which I found on Craigslist. We got lost for three hours, showed up way late, and had to set up the camper in the pouring rain. The good news is that there's definitely no leaks! I was a little worried and felt insane for driving so far to see a camper that I didn't even have pictures of. The listing had photos of the original brochure materials, which I regret not asking for. I paid $900 for it, which is a hundred more than the asking price because I told the lady if she held it I'd give her the extra. She has a traveling 23-year-old daughter who is much like me, and was sympathetic to my stubborn desire to drive so far for an antique camper. Unexpectedly to her, and very expected from me, she got over fifty calls about the camper in a matter of days. Luckily she kept it for me! What a prize, too, as it's in close to like-new condition! What are the chances? Also, the guy at Walmart who filled the tires for me revealed that he had one when he was little as well! He's from down south, and his family had one. Small world.

At long last, after driving from 10am to 5am in one stretch, and setting up the camper at 5:30am to dry out, here are pictures!



Here are links to some of the brochure material: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any advice or recommendations? Love us? Hate us? Let us know!